Thursday, June 7, 2007

"I Hate Doctors and..." A Brief Study on Google Search

On June 30 2005, I started my posting with the following:

"A visitor came today to my blog from Google with the search words “I hate doctors”. While, I don’t know the true motivation and concern of this visitor, I think that this visitor’s search terms are consistent with the ambivalent feeling people have about doctors. Whether it is fair to characterize this ambivalence in the extremes of “love” and “hate” or some more moderate terms can be considered but obviously the ambivalence is a realistic phenomenon."

Today, almost 2 years later, there are now 84 comments to that posting which I titled "I Hate Doctors" and, of course, many, many more visitors who didn't comment. This has been one of my most popular postings. I wondered whether we physicians were the most hated people who are supposed to serve the public. So I went back to Google today and entered the words "I hate..." and finished the expression with "doctors" and found there were 18,300 sites using those words. Then I replaced "doctors" with "nurses" and then a whole bunch of other jobs and below is the results I obtained. I am not sure whether this study says anything significant about the publics opinion of these different classes of activities but I thought the listing would be of interest to my visitors. So here they are:
I HATE...
Doctors 18,300
Nurses 659
Lawyers 10,100
Politicians 994
Ministers 5
Police 704
Judges 676
Actors 623
Actresses 190
Plumbers 424
Used Car Dealers 127
New Car Dealers 7
Insurance Agents 10, Insurance Companies 684
Realtors 505
and then I put in the words "I Hate Men" 70,800
and naturally I tried "I hate Women" 54,500
and finally to establish the ambivalence between to hate and to love doctors I put in "I love Doctors" and Google said there were 9,760 sites with those words, a little more than half of the hated.

Again, what this little exercise with Google's Search Engine means, I really don't know but it does seem that doctors lead the way in expressions of hate as compared to other professions and employment. What can we do to improve our image and our behavior, if necessary? For specific comments on this question just go back to the "I Hate Doctors" posting and add to the comments. ..Maurice.

No comments:

Post a Comment