Sunday, August 5, 2007

What is a "Good" Patient?

Anonymous has written in a previous thread regarding patients ideas regarding teaching ethics to medical students an interesting comment about what patients are looking for in their medical care and how they should or should not respond. Anonymous wrote:

"I read somewhere that patients try to prevent three things inherent in the healthcare system: depersonalization, loss of control and lack of knowledge. I would consider it normal and healthy for a patient to try to prevent these things from happening to them. But the behaviours they use to prevent this go against how a "good" patient is supposed to behave."

I thought it might be worthwhile to set up a new thread on a subject I haven't tackled before. On this blog, I have covered about what make up an ideal doctor but I have never covered the issue of what is a "good" patient, either from the view of patients or from the view of the healthcare provider. So here is the chance to make your opinions known. How do you think a "good" patient should behave? ..Maurice.

No comments:

Post a Comment